Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Good Stuff

This weekend, I took my son on a journey of discovery of...my hometown.

That's a photo-filled blog to come, and I'm looking forward to writing it. We visit my hometown several times a month, but usually only to see my parents, not explore the town ourselves. Saturday, however, that is just what we did.

Sunday, with the help of a neighbor, I readied the garden for planting while kids romped and played in the woods and field. It was a sunny, early spring day, perfect for being outside. We are truly blessed to live in a community, in the city, where nature and woods are abundant. It is like having the best of both worlds.

I was so thrilled to see that, after two years, our blueberry bushes are blooming!!!


It ruins my (do it myself) manicure, but I prefer to work without gloves. I like the feel of the earth in my hands, the scent of herbs on my skin...it just makes me feel closer to nature.


I was surprised and delighted when my son called me over to see the 'rest area' he'd created for me. It was nice break, to have a cup of afternoon coffee with him in the shade...



I felt it necessary this year to move composter to new location. It was a lot of work, but good, physical, outdoor work. I grew up with a large garden, and I miss that kind of labour sometimes!



At the day's end, there was unexpected bonus of a few hours alone, and I treated myself to the rare occurrence to watch a little afternoon television  (as in television for grown ups, not children's channels!) and relaxing in my room. The garden is ready now for more work, and in three more days I have ten days free to give to it. I'll be taking a wonderful online course with Hannah Marcotti as well  during this time and I can't wait to get started. Between the time off from my job, time in the garden, and the online course, there is a lot to look forward to. I'll post often about the course, which focuses on space clearing, in our homes and in our lives. Good stuff.

Just like a day outdoors, with sun on my shoulders, children laughing in background, and my hands in the earth.

Good stuff.

No comments: