Thursday, March 20, 2014

First Day of Spring/Spring Equinox

March is not a Winter month here. The Spring Equinox roles in, sunny and warm. Somewhere between work and dinner and laundry, I make time to relax a bit, outside. Have coffee, and a snack.

Sunshine...
Then it was time for a walk. A long walk, as our first 5K is next weekend. I'm delighted my son chose to walk it with me, but today's walk wasn't about training. It was about being. Being in the moment, in every moment of this Thursday evening, Spring Equinox, 2014. 

Beautiful spring trees, brilliant blue sky...
I often tell people, when they complain about feeling stressed and overwhelmed, to take a walk. Get outside. Be in nature. I truly believe it is healing, and essential to our spirits.

Bright blooms...
Spring is such a symbolic time. Watching the earth come alive, being witness to the cycle of renewal...I find it very hard to be stressed or even grumpy on a day like today. My son helps me collect a bouquet, which is something of a tradition for us to do on long walks.

Holding a bouquet contribution and a found treasure he's carrying home to his woodland clubhouse.
We visit the secret pond, one of our favorite places. We watch for Redwing Blackbirds, but don't see any. We do see Canadian Geese passing overhead, and a Pileated woodpecker alerts us to his presence with a loud rat-a-tat-tat. We watch, and wait, and soon are rewarded with a brief sighting. My son tells me his favorite birds are blue jays, cardinals, and woodpeckers, and of course, hawks. I agree, as we walk, that they are all marvelous birds. I like egrets and herons. They remind me of the low country marshes we pass enroute to the beaches we love. 

The secret pond, where the Redwing Blackbirds will be again soon.
And then we are home, and there is laundry to go on the line, and other small evening routines. The day passes into night, but my feeling of calm and peace stays with me. 

This is time in nature. Healing. Precious. Necessary. Our bouquet goes into a heart-shaped vase on the kitchen table. The weekend is one day away. Movie night. Baking bread for the week. Working in the garden. Setting up my new laptop. A birthday party to attend. Long conversations Skyping with P. Love. Laughter. Dreaming. Being. 

Our bouquet!
It is spring. We are renewed. I leave you with some eye candy, beautiful colors of what is to come...

Happy Spring Equinox!

No comments: